Learn how the Pen tool enables free-form creation and animation of custom shapes and icons
Accessing the Pen tool
There are 2 ways to bring up the Pen tool:
- Press P to activate the Pen tool
- Click on the Pen tool in the Toolbar
Pen tool in Toolbar
Drawing with the Pen tool
- Click anywhere on the canvas to create your first point.
- Move the cursor and click to place your next point.
- Click, hold, and drag for curved connections.
- Click and drop for straight connections.
- Repeat until all points are placed.
- Click your first point to close the path.
- Press Return / Enter before returning to your first point to create an open path.
You can use the Pen tool, or any of the basic shape tools, to create a new custom shape layer. You can continue building complex Paths using Controllers, bezier curves, and creation tools in Edit Path Mode.
Entering Edit Path Mode
There are 2 ways to access edit path mode:
Option 1: Select a layer and click "Edit Path" within the properties panel under Blend Mode and above Fill.
Option 2: Double-click the custom shape layer.
In Edit Path mode, select the Pen tool to continue drawing– it picks up from the last placed point or an open path's right point.
Drawing from a specific point within a shape
Here are the steps:
- Click the point directly left-adjacent.
- Select "Open path" in the Edit Path properties panel.
- Select the Pen tool.